Monday, June 27, 2011

What's the Story, Morning Glories?

I typically don't stray much outside the DC and Marvel Universes (not even to Marvel's Ultimate Universe), but the premise of Image Comics' Morning Glories sounded intriguing, so I've been picking up the last 10 issues that have been released.  From Wikipedia: "The series focuses on six "brilliant but troubled" new recruits at Morning Glory Academy, a prestigious prep school hiding "sinister and deadly" secrets."

The series is written by Nick Spencer and illustrated by Joe Eisma. Fortunately, each issue is only $2.99, so I'll continue reading.  If Image was charging $3.99, I probably would have dropped the series by now.  While good, it's not fantastic.  The stories are promising, although sometimes confusing.  The characters are interesting, yet not defined enough for me to care about any of them or even keep them straight, especially when each issue focuses on someone different than the last.  I do enjoy the simple yet realistic artwork in brilliant colors, though, and that's another reason I keep reading the series.  It's extremely visually appealing. 

So, while I'm curious about the students and the school, the "big mystery" hasn't really hooked me yet.  I'm waiting for one of those guilty pleasure moments that really draws me into the series.  The series get a B- grade from me.  It has the potential to succeed and is better than average, but I think it could -- and should -- strive to be better.


No comments: