Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Be afraid...be very afraid.

Am I the only one who's very worried about DC Comics' announcement that they're revamping the ENTIRE DC Universe?  

I've always been a DC fan over Marvel.  That's not to say that I don't read Marvel Comics, but I think the quality and characters at DC have always been, overall, better.  They're like family, and I know them all so well.  That's why, reading daily DCU Source blog postings, I'm very scared for the future.  

Flashpoint?  Great idea.  I love the idea of a temporary shift in reality.  But what DC has planned for the future really frightens me.  Taking all of the comic book series, mythos, characters, and TOTALLY revamping them?  Erasing their past?  Marvel did this when they created an Ultimates universe, while still maintaining the regular, ongoing universe they've had since Day One. (Note: I do not and have not read any Ultimates titles; I think the concept is ridiculous.  How can one expect (or even want) to keep up with the goings-on of two different universes filled with the same characters?)

DC, on the other hand, is making this kind of change to their current universe that's been in effect from the first appearances of Superman and Batman.  Yes, there have been events and retcons that have altered and rebooted the DC Universe (good examples are Crisis on Infinite Earths, John Byrne's Superman, and George Perez's Wonder Woman), but basically it's stayed the same overall. 

While DC may see this is a good jumping on point for new readers, it may also seem like a good jumping OFF point for many decades-long readers.  Gaining new, non-loyal readers in exchange for old, loyal readers?  Not a good marketing idea.  Statistics show it's better to retain and manage current customers than try to recruit new ones.  Why?  It's more costly.  In more ways than one.  

I grew up reading comics.  I read them continuously from about age 10 through age 24.  Then I started picking them up again when I was 38 and got hooked again.  I'm 41 now and I've been trying not to spend as much money monthly on comics ($120?  Yikes!).  This may be the excuse and motivation I was looking for.  Sorry, DC.  But thanks for saving me money.

2 comments:

ARS said...

I think you have hit the nail right on the head (and DC may be hitting their thumb with the hammer). In this attempt to "simplify" the DCU history to make it more accessible to new readers, they probably have made it very easy to drop titles and not pick up the new ones. For me they are eliminating many titles I have on my pull box. I only feel like getting Blue Beetle. I stop buying about seven books and end up with one strong title of interest.

Catman Scratches said...

I'm still in a funk over several of my favorite series being canceled with few suitable replacements. I have little to no enthusiasm for this DC Universe "rebirth," and it makes me not want to even continue reading the series I'm currently reading, knowing that they're coming to an abrupt end.