Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Bobby Ewing Syndrome


Since the announcement of DC canceling all of their titles and basically starting all over with 52 new titles, I've continued to pick up my comics at my local comic book shop, but as I read them, I find I have little to no enthusiasm in the characters or storylines anymore.  Why?  Because I know the series are going to end, the characters will no longer be themselves, they'll no longer have their history/connections, and the entire DC Universe is going to start anew in September with characters I don't even know or recognize anymore.  So, really, what's the point?  Come September, it'll be like waking up in Dallas, finding Bobby Ewing alive and well in your shower, and realizing that everything that happened previously was all just a dream.  

I don't even have the same excitement for Flashpoint and its many, many related mini-series, an event I was really looking forward to.   Again, I figure, what's the (flash)point? 

The best thing to really come out of this announcement is that I can sell entire set/series of comics on eBay since they won't really matter anymore in the continuum and, having ended, they're actual complete sets, not just partial sets of an ongoing series.  Thanks, DC, for helping me clear out my clutter and giving me some extra spending money.

2 comments:

Lebeau2501 said...

So, at first I thought that the DC reboot was going to be related to Flashpoint, but I guess it's going to occur within an event. Maybe it's a good jumping on point for me. I kind of want to pick up Batwoman because the art is superb and I like street level stories and detective stuff. Batgirl also looks like it may be good. I forget which books Gail Simone is writing, but I might check those out, too.
What are you going to read? Any suggestions for this Marvel loyalist?

Catman Scratches said...

Sorry for the lonnnng delay in responding to you, Lebeau2501! I've been busy selling my comic collections on ebay. LOL

I've decided on which of the "New 52" I'm going to try reading. Most are ones that I read prior to Flashpoint that are getting a reboot/reimagining/reset. The Superman Family ones, some of the Batman Family ones (excluding Batman Inc., Dark Knight, and Batwing), none of the Green Lanterns, and most of the Justice League ones except for "Dark" and Mister Terrific (who I can't stand as a character). I'll also pick up Teen Titans and Hawk & Dove because I love those teams/characters. I'm hoping Teen Titans (my favorite team ever) isn't too messed up with the drastic changes that are being employed, but Hawk & Dove sound like they'll be pretty much the same -- whew. For ones I'm going to "try" (with the potential of not continuing with them: Stormwatch (I'm curious about the integration of Midnighter and Apollo into the DC Universe), Suicide Squad (but skeptical about the extreme version of Harley Quinn), Animal Man (because I used to love his comic in the 80s), the new Resurrection Man (hoping for some good stories for this new unique character), and I Vampire to see if it's intriguing at all.

With all that said, I think your interest in Batgirl and Batwoman is good. I think they'll be standout series. I'm also hoping Aquaman is, too, since Geoff Johns is writing him. Pick up the Teen Titans, too. Hopefully DC will do them (young) justice.