Monday, September 12, 2011

Wild About Animal Man

The new Animal Man series is one of my favorites (so far) of DC's New 52.  Jeff Lemire's new version harkens back to the days of Grant Morrison writing the title in the late 1980s.  The theme is a bit darker than your typical superhero comic book, and I'm already excited about the potential odd storylines. 

One of the strongest parts about the series is the character development.  At the beginning, we see Buddy Baker in his family setting.  He's in superhero semi-retirement, but being recognized for his new work as an actor.  His wife Ellen is there, and we can already sense some tension between the two.  There's also Buddy's two kids -- Maxine and Cliff -- both rebellious in their own ways.  

Buddy decides to jump back into action when a crazy man who lost his daughter to cancer enters a hospital wing waving a gun around other cancer-stricken children.  After saving the day, Buddy returns home to some mysterious developments...

Animal Man is one comic of DC's New 52 that I can't wait for issue #2 to see what happens next. 

1 comment:

Lebeau2501 said...

Ditto. I loved this book and it was the first New 52 I read. I feel that DC put all of the best talent on the B and C list character books. I like it. That way, they will continue to sell those books, and people aren't going to NOT buy Green Lantern and Batman books, so assign the lesser talent to those. I'm not saying that Geoff Johns is lesser talent, but I haven't heard any praise for his relaunch stuff.