Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Say Hello to the Newest Supergirl

I like the idea of Supergirl.  Besides her cousin Kal-El (better known as Superman), she's a stranger to Earth.  However, unlike Superman, she doesn't come to Earth as an infant.  She comes as a teenager/young adult, so her reception is a bit more jarring.  But, seriously, how many different versions do we need or can we handle for Kara Zor-El?  She's died and been brought back to life more often than a soap opera personality.

I wasn't crazy about the Matrix version of Supergirl or the most recent version of her before the Flashpoint event (but I was getting used to it).   Now we have DC Comics' latest version of her in the New 52, post-Flashpoint.  Rather than crash-landing in Smallville or Metropolis (how convenient), this latest incarnation of Supergirl lands in Siberia, fully clothed in her "S" regalia.  She's unsure where she is and why the sun looks different.  Russia's army of robots comes after her and she's sure that she'll be killed.  That's when she begins to realize that she has some strange powers.  

The comic held my interest throughout, so that's a good sign.  I look forward to seeing where DC takes her.  

As for her new costume, it's not bad, but it's definitely an older version than the previous teenager's bare midriff one.  I miss the playful skirt, though, and I'm not sure about the above-the-thigh one-piece that the latest version wears.  I think that part could be a bit lower on the sides and that maybe she could lose the big red "V" in the front that basically screams, "Here's my Vagina!"

No comments: