Friday, February 27, 2009

Black Adam

The Black Adam mini series (2008) was one of the first comic arcs that I read upon my return to comics after a 15-year absence. Why? I've always had a fondness for the Marvel Family that dates back to the 1970s. Now, I'm not talking about Marvel Comics. I'm talking about the Marvels: Captain Marvel (Shazam), Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr., etc. Growing up, I used to love watching the Shazam! live-action series that came on every Saturday morning. To a young kid, it was way cool. Now, I don't recall if Black Adam was ever on the TV show (I don't think he was), but since I was happy to see one of the members of the Marvel family currently being used by DC Comics, I picked up the entire Black Adam: The Dark Age series to give it a shot. I was given an even sweeter treat when I discovered that the series also featured Isis ("Oh mighty Isis"). Come to find out, DC had, after all these years, created (and killed) an Isis character based on the Shazam! show's sister show Isis. Woo hoo! How psyched was I?

In the mini series, Black Adam is mad as hell at the world (and he's not going to take it anymore). He wants the love of his life, Isis, back. Dammit. And he'll kill anyone (and does) to get her back. Yes, Black Adam is evil and a murderer in all senses of the words, and quite possibly could be considered a terrorist. So imagine an entire mini series revolving around his character?

The story takes place in mythical countries in the war-torn Middle East, and the violence is astounding (yet necessary and purposefully used to tell the story). In fact, the story was SO well written by Peter Tomasi that I actually felt sorry for Black Adam. (Of course I had my own selfish reasons for wanting Isis back alive.) The art by Doug Mahnke
was amazing, too. He really brought the story (and violence) to life. Now if only we could get these two to do a Black Adam continuing series with the same murder, mayhem, and terror. Oh, and love. Ah, l'amour...

No comments: