Wednesday, February 18, 2009

A Story With "Heart"

I've recently read in its entirety the "Heart of Hush" storyline that was running in Detective Comics while Batman was running the disappointing "R.I.P." I found that "Heart of Hush" had a better storyline, was MUCH better written, had real character development, and had the possibility (and believability) to affect and change Batman/Bruce Wayne more than "R.I.P." ever could.

This was my first experience with the Hush villain, having just starting reading comics again after 15 years. I must say that he's equally creepy as -- if not creepier than -- the Joker. What a background Hush has. I loved the flashbacks throughout "Heart of Hush" to his childhood. They went into great depth with his turn into a villain, specifically despising Bruce Wayne because of his jealousy and "mommy issues." What a terrific concept.

Unbeknownst to me, the "heart" of Hush turned out to be an actual heart. Catwoman's heart. Ouch. Surgically removing Catwoman's heart to use as bait was brilliant, not to mention incredibly twisted and devious. I loved seeing how much it affected Bruce/Batman personally. The tender moments between he and Catwoman were beautiful. I hope more comes of this. They've been playing "cat and mouse" for years. It's about time something more was done with the chemistry between the two of them.

All in all, I can't say enough how much Paul Dini did a beautiful writing job writing this story arc. How about taking over both Batman titles, Dini?

No comments: