Thursday, October 22, 2015

To Thrill A Mockingbird

West Coast Avengers #1
(limited series)
I've been a fan of Mockingbird since the days of the West Coast Avengers back in the 1980s, as that was one of my favorite series.  I also loved her as half of the Hawkeye/Mockingbird coupling.  
Hawkeye & Mockingbird #6

Cut to: 2010.  I was excited about the Hawkeye & Mockingbird series...only to be disappointed that they didn't reunite romantically and the series was canceled after only six issues.  

While I'm not crazy about the emphasis put on her involvement with S.H.I.E.L.D. in the past few years, I decided to pick up her latest comic, a one-shot, celebrating 50 Years of S.H.I.E.L.D.  As I started reading, I thought, "Who wrote this?" and "Why isn't this a regular series?"  It was unlike a lot of the action-packed and non-character-focused crap that I've read as of late.  Turns out, it's a new writer to comic books -- Chelsea Cain.  Ah, that explains it.  She hasn't been editorialized to death yet.  She's a published novelist and, because it was a one-shot issue, Marvel probably let her write whatever she wanted to.  And what she wrote was an excellent story of mystery, romance, and character development that left me wanting more.  It's a shame I can't slap down $4-$5 on a comic book and get the same quality time and time again. 

Mockingbird #1 (one-shot)
The back-up story introduced the Red Widow who has some connection to the Black Widow.  Meh.  After a lead-in like Cain's Mockingbird story, the Red Widow story by a YA novelist was doomed to fail.  I would have liked another story of Mockingbird. 

With Mockingbird becoming more and more known through ABC's Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. TV series and Marvel wanting to increase the number of female-driven comics, I'd like to think it's only a matter of time before Mockingbird gets her own monthly series.  Let's just hope that Chelsea Cain writes it.

No comments: