Friday, January 20, 2012

You can stand under my Umbrella...ella, ella, eh, eh...


What a great concept the Umbrella Academy is!  Babies are mysteriously born throughout the world by mothers who didn't even know they were pregnant.  Most are abandoned.  A mysterious benefactor adopts 7 of them and raises them at the Umbrella Academy, which I'm assuming is like the X-Men's Charles Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters.  Six of the seven children have powers; the seventh feels like an outcast. 

I read through the entire graphic novel (volume one, which is made up of six comics/sections) in no time.  The story was very engaging.  However, I would have liked to have seen more character development.  I didn't feel like I knew much about all of the characters, only a couple of them.  The rest were kind of two-dimensional; their personalities weren't developed.  I also would have liked more about the children's mysterious backstory.  How did it come to be that these children were all born?  How did their powers manifest themselves?  How did their benefactor track them all down and know about them?  And what about the benefactor's background?  There's SO much more story that could be told.

All in all, though, I thought the writing was fantastic.  It really held my interest.  The interior art was a bit child-like/cartoonish; I would have liked it to have a little more realism to it (like the fantastic covers).  I'm looking forward to reading Volume Two and beyond!

No comments: