Monday, January 23, 2012

DC no longer drawing the line at $2.99

Apparently, DC Comics didn't learn from their mistake a couple of years ago when they tried raising comic book prices from $2.99 to $3.99, using the stupid justification of "back-up stories."  People stopped buying their comics. 

Besides the existing Justice League and Action Comics already priced at $3.99, in April's solicits, there appears to be some comics that have gone from $2.99 to $3.99 (Yes, I'm talking to you Batman and Detective Comics) with the justification of a "back-up story."  These additional stories may be better than filler like sketches, etc. that comics use to raise the prices to $3.99 or $4.99 (or even up to the atrocious $7.99!!!), but typically they're not even worth the paper they're printed on.  Does anyone even recall a good back-up story they read when DC tried this tactic a couple of years ago?  I thought not.

So what's going to happen with this increase?  People will stop buying the comics.  Again.

Boo hiss to DC for repeating their own mistakes.



5 comments:

Aliendw700 said...

..I liked the Question/Huntres at detective comics and the Manhunter at Streets of Gotham Backups.

The good one is that Batman backup story will be related to the main story and Co-written by Snyder (although that sounds like Not written by Snyder).. How knows I will wait and judge then

ARS said...

I don't pick up the $3.99 comics now, and if any I buy jump in price, well, I will have to drop them. I can't afford to buy them. I bet the cost of printing is a factor, so we should all go digital. Sorry, I like to hold a book in my hand.

Catman Scratches said...

@BDS -- and a digital comic isn't going to increase in value or be available for resale, so you're just totally out the $2.99/$3.99!

Anonymous said...

Didn't you hear? "Drawing the Line at $2.99" never happened in the New 52.

Catman Scratches said...

LOL. Awesome theory, anonymous.