Friday, March 18, 2011

OH Mighty Is-Is-Isis!

I looked forward to the new 2008 Titans series when it was released because it brought together the heroes from my favorite 1980s comic: The New Teen Titans. Unfortunately, the stories were pretty weak up until the "final" issues when each character had their own spotlight issue.  With issue #24, Titans changed its format and became Titans: Villains for Hire (without the "Villains for Hire" in the title).  I'm still not sure why DC chose to revise the entire format of the Titans series and continue the numbering rather than starting anew like they did with Green Arrow, Birds of Prey, Red Robin, etc.  I don't feel that Titans is an appropriate title for this Villains for Hire book.  It's quite the tarnish to the Teen Titans name and doesn't accurately reflect the storylines or the characters.  Confusion aside, I enjoy seeing a regular monthly comic featuring some of my favorite characters: Arsenal/Red Arrow, Cheshire, Deathstroke, and Osiris, Isis' brother.

JoAnna Cameron as Isis
I can't thank DC Comics enough for bringing Isis back to life in recent Titans issues.  She's one of my favorite characters.  I have such fond memories of watching the live-action Shazam! and Secrets of Isis TV shows on Saturday mornings back in the 1970s.  So when Isis first appeared in the year-long series 52 in 2006, I nearly wet myself with excitement.  DC did a fantastic job of bringing her into the Shazam/Captain Marvel family (how apropos) by making her Black Adam's love interest.  See: my Black Adam mini-series review.  However, like with Conner Kent/Superboy, though, I was sad when she was killed off, but relieved now that DC is finally bringing her back to life in the current Titans series. I hope this time it's for good and she and Black Adam can finally have a life together.  Someone needs to calm that boy down.  In their own monthly series, of course.


As a side note, not only has Isis come back to life, but she's also been granted Double D-sized breasts.  Seriously, what's up with that?  Can we get those babies in check before they slip out of the gauze that's holding them up?





They're so big, in fact, that she's top-heavy now and can't even stand up.  (See below)  Poor Isis.  How the Mighty have fallen.  



No comments: