Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Batman Inc. doesn't stink.


If you've read my previous postings, you'd know that I am not a fan of Grant Morrison's writing.  I usually suffer through the nonsense, trying to understand what's happening so I can keep up with the goings-on of Batman, holding onto that slim hope that DC Comics will pass the writing reigns of this fantastic character on to someone else.   I picked up the first issue of the new comic series Batman, Inc. (written by none other than Grant Morrison) with the intention of not reading past this initial comic.  To my surprise, I found it engaging, fun, and it provided me with a flash of nostalgia to the old 1960's Batman TV series. 

The issue features the reunion between Batman and Catwoman after his return from the "dead."  It's a highspeed romp, not unlike a James Bond movie.  Batman needs Catwoman's thievery skills and she...well, she needs her Batman.  She's very frisky with Batman throughout the comic, and he certainly doesn't resist her advances. It re-establishes their relationship as playful and sexual. 

At the end, there's a cliffhanger, much like the cliffhangers on the Batman TV series.  Questions are posed to the reader: "Will Batman survive?"  "Will Catwoman?"  Followed by: "Find out next month in...Batman, Inc.!"   That part was cleverly done and I do applaud Morrison for this flashback.  

I'm not a fan of the whole idea of Batman going international with a different Batman in every country, but this was definitely an issue that was well written, easy to follow, and entertaining. 


No comments: