Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Your Friendly Neighborhood Bi-Curious Spider-Man

I used to read the Amazing Spider-Man all the time throughout the 1980s. I followed him through the Secret Wars, the black suit, Todd McFarlane's art, etc. Spidey was my favorite Marvel comic, other than the Fantastic Four and Uncanny X-Men back then. In the past couple of years, I've started reading comics again (mostly DC characters), but picked up the recent "American Son" storyline in Amazing Spider-Man. I have to admit that it was pretty cool reading about the webslinger again, and I liked that his story wasn't crossing over into other comics that I'd have to pick up.

The humor was still there, and there have been some interesting turn of events: his nemesis J. Jonah Jameson is now the mayor, Peter is no longer (and apparently never was) married to Mary Jane, Aunt May is engaged to JJJ's father, Norman Osborn (aka Green Goblin) is in charge of the Avengers, and -- what's this? -- Peter Parker has the hots for his best friend, Harry Osborn? Yes, folks. T
here were some definite heavy homoerotic undertones throughout the story. The first one caught my eye, but I let it go, figuring it was a fluke. Then there was another...then another...and suddenly I was wondering if these were purposely placed.

Could it possibly be true? After almost 600 issues, could our Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man be gay and have a secret crush on his best friend Harry? I'd love to see Peter Parker, one of the most famous, well-known, and beloved comic book characters come out of the closet. How awesome would that be? Especially since he's no longer married to Mary Jane. Alas, this will probably never happen in my -- or any -- lifetime, but I just had to ponder the thought of it because I felt some definite "vibes" from Spidey toward Harry. Sadly, even if Spidey/Peter were to come out, it doesn't seem like Harry would return his affections. This could be an interesting storyline in itself, though, as Peter wrestles with the feeling of rejection and coming to terms with himself as he once did with the death of his Uncle Ben.

At any rate, I look forward to seeing what Marvel has cooked up for our Friendly Neighborhood Bi-Curious Spider-Man.



No comments: