Thursday, July 23, 2009

Captain Snoozer

I don't normally read Captain America, but since he was getting a reboot, I thought I'd give him a try. I picked up Captain America 600 and 601, as well as Captain America Reborn #1. At the higher pricing of $4.99, $3.99, and $3.99, respectively, I feel Marvel could have provided something a little more interesting and exciting to get new readers hooked on their flag-clad icon. The issues had some interesting ideas in bringing the original Captain America, Steve Rogers, back to life, like introducing a "second shooter" ala JFK. Plus, I enjoyed seeing the Falcon, if only briefly.

Unfortunately, the rest of the story fails. I had no emotional connection and was truly bored. Even the "tributes" to Steve Rogers weren't interesting, and the "very special issue" touted on the cover of #601 wasn't special by any means. I expected something with some emotion attached, not a flashback story from the 1940s. It didn't move the character or story of Captain America forward in any way and certainly didn't intrigue me enough to continue reading Captain America, the comic. For the money, I'll stick to DC's rebirth of the Flash.

No comments: