Monday, December 22, 2008

Desperate Manhunters

I came back into comics around the time that the new Manhunter by DC Comics was supposedly cancelled with issue #30. I really didn't have much interest in the series, as the comic -- from what I remember -- was always about a generic Manhunter character. Plus, there now have been eight Manhunters in the DC Universe . After discovering that one of my favorite "lost" superheroes (Obsidian) from the 80s Infinity, Inc. was now appearing in the new Manhunter, I had to take a peek! Right away, I was hooked by the writing of co-creator Marc Andreyko. I bought up all 30 past issues and read them all in a row, cover to cover. I could tell that Andreyko was more interested in telling a story than fight/action sequences. He used a variety of minor characters in his stories that I grew to know and care about. (I use the term "care" loosely, though, as some of them are assholes, but I still want them in the stories.) He also successfully merged Kate Spencer, the new Manhunter, into the world of DC Comics as she became the attorney for superheroes and supervillains of the DC Universe, such as Copperhead, the Shadow Thief, and even Wonder Woman. And Andreyko was all about Infinity, Inc., bringing back characters from one of my favorite series from the past, as well as using Infinity's premise of superheroes' children when he revealed that the new Manhunter was actually the granddaughter of Phantom Lady and Iron Munro from The Young All-Stars, a follow-up to the All-Star Squadron. You with me? Good. Andreyko even brought back Mister Bones from Infinity Inc.'s Helix team. Yea for Andreyko reviving some of my favorite characters that DC shooed aside!

When the series returned with issue #31, it took a surprisingly different (and downward) turn for me. The comic was no longer about Kate Spencer, attorney to superheroes, and her supporting characters. It was now about being a member of Birds of Prey (Oy vey! Kat'e not team-oriented!) and Manhunter, the vigilante, going to Mexico. And staying. For issue after issue after issue. And the fabulous crisp art apparently stayed in the U.S., too, leaving only jagged lines by Michael Gaydos. What happened to our girl, Andreyko?

I've now just read the latest issue, issue #37, and discovered that now Andreyko went all Desperate Housewives on us. Flash forward about 12 years. Kate Spencer's young son, Ramsey, is now a young adult, gay, in a relationship, and becoming a superhero in his own right. Kate is in a relationship with a younger man. Dylan has a mechanical leg. Huh? I guess Andreyko wanted to wind things up since the series is going to be cancelled -- again -- with the next issue (#38). Maybe if the Mexico storyline wasn't involved and there was better art upon the series' return, this second cancellation wouldn't have happened? Hmmm?

Sigh...I'm going to miss Kate Spencer and her cast of characters.

3 comments:

Mark Chubb said...

"Mister Bones" was brought back in the Chase series, almost a decade ago, not by the writer of Manhunter. He can also be seen for several years in the JSA comic before he makes his 1st app. in Manhunter. Check it out.

fanboi said...

i love this series

güncel blog said...

@fanboi I like that :)