Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Batman R.I.P.

After seeing the movie The Dark Knight, I was in the mood for more Batman. With the Batman comics starting the "Batman R.I.P." storyline, this seemed like a good place to jump back in. I picked up all the comics on the Batman R.I.P. checklist, which included Batman #676-681, Detective Comics #846-850, Nightwing #147-150, Robin #175-176, and Batman and the Outsiders #11-13. I've read them all now and all I have to say is, "Huh?" I used to love Grant Morrison's wacky storylines for Animal Man in the 80s, but with Batman today, I think he's on something. Seriously. I never got into the story. And wasn't sure even how to begin. Batman of Zur-En-Arrh? Excuse me? Did you say "Surrender?" No. Batman of Zurrrrrrrrrrrr-ennnnnnnnn-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrh. Oh, okay. Can I have some of what you're on, Grant? And whatever the DC Executives are on who okayed this storyline? After that, throw in some Bat-Mite and we've got ourselves a party!

Seriously? This is what you give Batman fans who went in droves to the movie theaters this past summer and then out to buy Batman comics as a follow-up? Rabble and Bat-Mite? The Riddler makes more sense than "Batman R.I.P."

No comments: