Friday, August 8, 2014

You Don't Know Dick

"Dick. That's an interesting name.  My bottom hurts just thinking about it." - Madonna
Cover of Grayson #1
Okay, so other than his first name, that song lyric doesn't really have much application to the new GRAYSON series starring Dick Grayson (former Robin, former Teen Titan, former Nightwing, former Batman), but how often do I get the chance to use it?

When this new series/title was first announced, I was a bit disappointed that Nightwing was being cancelled, as Dick Grayson/Robin/Nightwing has always been one of my favorite characters.  I guess DC thought he needed some shaking up.  While I was unsure about this new direction, I was glad that Dick was at least getting another series (and that he wasn't actually killed in Forever Evil).  And I appreciate the fact that they kept the elements of the Nightwing logo in the new Grayson logo. 

I read the first issue of Grayson and was surprised that I actually enjoyed it.  The story was fast-paced, yet not too bogged down in action.  It was very Mission Impossible-esque, and the cover reminds one of James Bond.  I guess Grayson is supposed to be the next great spy along the lines of those two famous spies. 


Interior art by Mikel Janin.
Speaking of the cover, I question why DC didn't use an illustration drawn by the comic's regular artist, Mikel Janin, when -- to me -- his art and characters look so much better than Andrew Robinson's.  It's so great, though, that they went with a hot pink background to really make Dick's dark outfit stand out.  It's very eye-catching.  

There was also some character development and interaction in Grayson, including appearances by Stormwatch's Midnighter and Helena Bertinelli, in her first appearance in the New 52.  The new Helena is much more Italian/Mediterranean-looking, and I'm curious to see if she'll eventually assume the Huntress persona or leave that to Helena Wayne on Earth 2.  Regardless, I'd like to see more of these two as regular supporting characters for Dick to interact with on a personal level. 


Helena Bertinelli
So far, I'm sold on Grayson, and I can deal without a Nightwing in the DC Universe for the time being. 




No comments: