Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Popping My Comic Con Cherry

This past weekend, I finally had my Comic Con cherry popped.  I visited SDCC 2014 Thursday through Saturday, learning a little bit more each day. 

What did I think?  Total chaos. Actually, Thursday wasn't too bad, but the crowds grew exponentially with each passing day.  By the time Saturday came around, you could barely move through the San Diego Convention Center without your genitals pressed against the person in front of you.  

Would I do it again?  Meh.  I think a lot would have to change for me to muster up the enthusiasm to return. 

First and most important:  the fairness of admission to the panels.  I didn't grasp the lengths that people go to to get into these panels until I started reading about people's experiences online a week before the Con.  They will literally camp out overnight to see a show the following evening; that's almost 24 hours of waiting.  That's worse than Black Friday.   That's when my mind starting thinking how awful my trip would be and when my heart was no longer into it.  Nevertheless, I went because I had already invested so much money into the visit.  The tickets themselves were reasonable (approximately $40 per day), but it was the airfare and hotel that really took a chunk out of my wallet.  

From my understanding, previously, just one person from a group had to stand in line for the very popular "Hall H," and then others could come and basically cut the line.  I guess this year, they tried something different.  Everyone in the group had to be there to initially line up (outdoors) for Hall H, they'd receive a wristband to show that they were in line, and then they could leave and go do whatever while, in shifts, one person held their place in line.  It's pretty much the same thing, but I guess it eliminates too many people cutting in line.  However, what about us solo travelers?  I understand that there is limited capacity in the rooms, but there needs to be some fairness so that everyone has an opportunity to experience more at Comic Con.  They also don't clear the rooms after each panel, so many people will just stay in that room for hours on end, taking up a seat.  So one person gets to see everything; another doesn't get to see anything.  In my opinion, to make Comic Con more of an enjoyable, fair experience, there would be a lottery where people can sign up in advance for panels they'd like to see.  Then, like the ticket-buying system, you'd then be randomly chosen to attend events/panels you'd like to see.  Rooms would also be cleared after each panel to make way for the next group of ticketholders.  I know the diehard campers wouldn't like this, but what's wrong with everyone having an enjoyable experience?  

Another negative feature is the exclusive merchandise that's only available at SDCC.  I have to somewhat agree with Mile High Comics' point of view on this matter.  After my first attempt at buying something I spotted and really liked (a Hallmark Keepsake Ornament of The Empire Strikes Back Wampa), I began to see this aspect of Comic Con in a whole new light as well.  There are only so many items available for sale per day.  Once they're gone, they're gone until the next day.  I get that, but there should also be enough for anyone who took the time and expense to travel to Comic Con.  However, there are even more catches than just a limited daily supply.  You have to be one of the first in line, first thing in the morning.  Many times, that involves just getting a ticket to return later in the day to stand in another line to purchase whatever may be available/left at that time.  And, most of the time, people are buying merchandise in multiples.  Why?  Just to resell on eBay.  I saw people loaded up with bag upon bag filled with Hasbro toys.  And you know they weren't buying them as Christmas gifts.  They were stocking up to resell them.  So people who actually may want ONE of something for their own personal collection are screwed over by greedy vultures just there to turn a profit.  I collect Hallmark Keepsake Ornaments.  I have a lot of Star Wars ones.  The Wampa would have been a nice addition to my Christmas tree.  So on Saturday morning, I was there when the doors to the Convention Center opened.  I went straight to the Hallmark booth and found the line...already capped.  Seriously?  If getting there when they first open isn't early enough, when is?

The booths/exhibits around the Exhibit Hall were all about the same.  If you wanted to experience whatever they were offering, you had to have a ticket, which you received at some undisclosed time/location.   If you wanted an autograph or photo of some celebrity, you had to have a ticket (and, yes, they were always already sold out or at capacity).   Maybe it's just my naivety and inexperience, but if I'm not given the resources/information, how am I supposed to know what protocol to follow?  

I also learned that if you're not networking through social media during your ENTIRE visit, then you're also screwed.  Apparently, instead of walking around and enjoying being "in the moment," you need to have your face buried in your phone, facebooking and twatting.  That's where you learn of surprise appearances, pop-up sales, secret passwords, blah, blah, blah...  That's also where you get to see and learn about everything that you missed because you were excluded. 

I did have some enjoyable moments, though.  I actually did get into the TV Land panel on the first day to see Betty White (and William Shatner and Donald Faison) up on stage.  I was excited about that.  Of course, that was over at the Hilton, where things seemed to be easier to get into.  I also got to see some current DC Comics writers and artists (e.g., Geoff Johns, Charles Soule, Nicola Scott) in a panel I was surprised at how easy it was to get into (I think something else much more popular was going on at the time).  I stood in line for about an hour to get into the Big Bang Theory writers panel and barely got into the back of a room so big that surprise guest, Wil Wheaton, was about the size of an ant.  And, lastly, after another hour-long winding line, I got the very last seat in a panel for Berkeley Breathed (Bloom County comic strip).  Of course, that one was next to the largest possible man who was wide enough to take up three seats total. 

Walking around the exhibit hall, I got to see many of the artists whose work I'm familiar with and admire, and spotted random celebrities doing autograph signings and taking photos.  Of course, these (1) required tickets or (2) cost about $50 per autograph/photo.  But it was still fun just to see them and grab a candid photo.  I also spotted Ian Zierling (Beverly Hills 90210, Sharknado) while I was having lunch in the Gaslamp Quarter, outside the Convention Center.  I overheard someone say Tara Reid was there, too, but I never saw her.  To be fair, I didn't check the floor. 

Surprisingly, people weren't as decked out in costumes as I thought/heard they'd be.  Granted, there were many, but it wasn't the majority, so *not* dressing up didn't make me feel like I stood out.  I enjoyed walking around the main Exhibit Hall, seeing the costumes and tables, even if I didn't/couldn't participate in all of them.  

Not surprisingly, I didn't go to any of the invitation-only nighttime Hollywood parties, so my evenings were spent unwinding in my hotel with a beautiful marina view.  By that point anyway, I had already had enough of the favoritism, elitist attitudes, and special privileges.  I didn't want to stand in any more lines to only be disappointed once again.  I left by Saturday afternoon, just to get away from everything.  Fortunately, I had beautiful San Diego waiting for me and enjoyed the sunshine, fresh air, bay breeze, and, finally, dinner in Little Italy. 

So, like I said at the beginning, a lot would have to change for me to spend my money on another Comic Con, equal opportunities above all.  As it stands, you don't experience Comic Con, you fight a losing battle.  You tread water, just trying not to drown.  I'm glad I went, but I was also happy when it was over. 

1 comment:

ARS said...

It sounds like what I have imagined it would be. Makes me appreciate the fact that I live in North Carolina near Charlotte and can attend HeroesCon. I have always heard the creators and professionals talk about how nice it is to be at a laid back convention where they can enjoy meeting and mingling. Guess reading your experience explains alot about that now.

Tell ya what, come to Charlotte next June. Friday especially you can just hang and talk with the creators that come. Panels are easy to get into. Just a fun Convention (Second Longest continuously running comic book convention in the country).

HeroesCon would welcome you with open arms.