Thursday, July 31, 2014

Boyz n the (Red) Hood

Batman #638
Since I wasn't reading comics in 2005 (I was on hiatus from 1994-2007), I finally just read the "Under the Hood" storyline from Batman #635-638 and the related "Family Reunion" storyline from Batman #639-641.  Both stories were written by Judd Winick, and we're introduced to the new character, Red Hood, who is revealed to be a back-from-the-dead Jason Todd (former Robin). 

Obviously, I already knew that Jason Todd had come back from the dead, but I still wanted to read the actual story that brought him back.  I have to say that it was a pretty good, fast-paced storyline with a lot of great character development.  Winick did a beautiful job capturing Batman's emotions and his interactions with other superhero friends such as Green Arrow and Superman who also "came back from the dead," as he tries to make sense of Jason's possible return.  I think that's something that's missing from today's New 52: character development and personal interactions.  It's all about action, action, action, forgetting that these heroes also have personal lives and are (or should be) people like you and me, that we can relate to on a more-than-action level.  

From "Under the Hood"
One of my favorite scenes in the story was when the Red Hood/Jason Todd goes to visit the Joker and begins to beat him with a crowbar.  It's sweet revenge for Jason being beat to death by the Joker in the "A Death in Family" storyline from Batman #426-429.  

I also appreciate the irony of Jason assuming the Red Hood identity upon his return, as this was the Joker's original persona (or at least it used to be before all of his retcons).  I guess Jason wanted to acknowledge how the Joker (negatively) influenced his life and future.  
 
From "A Death in the Family"
"Under the Hood" (later changed to "Under the Red Hood") and "Family Reunion" are must-reads for any fans of Batman, Red Hood, or great storytelling!


No comments: