Friday, March 8, 2013

Unplug This Cable

When I first heard about the new monthly Cable and X-Force series, I thought: Good.  There's one title I don't have to worry about picking up.  Why?  Because Cable is a product of the awful 90s when comic books took a downward turn.  As are Domino and Dr. Nemesis.  Forge was interesting when he first came on the scene in the 1980s and romanced Storm, but then he, too, jumped on the 90s bandwagon.  No longer was it about storylines, character development, superpowers, or quality art.  It was all about misshapen, disproportionate men and women carrying weaponry.  It was about multiple issue covers, holograms, and foil-embossed covers.  In other words, anything to generate additional sales and not giving quality in return. 

However, (and you knew there had to be a "however"), when I heard that Salvador Larroca would be doing the artwork, I had to give it a shot.  He was amazing on Iron Man.  The detail that he puts into his art is astounding.  The characters look so real...and attractive.  To top it off, one of my favorite under-utilized characters -- Colossus -- was going to be on the team.  Colossus mixed with the Juggernaut = BAD.  Colossus mixed with Kitty Pryde/Shadowcat (or whatever name she goes by today) = GOOD.  Even though Kitty wasn't going to be a part of the team and they're not "together," I still wanted to see what was going to be done with Piotr Rasputin.  


Sadly, after reading the first four issues of the series, I'm disappointed.  The writer, Dennis Hopeless, provides no character development.  Instead, we're treated to some ridiculous storyline about aliens at a company.  Worse, Larroca's art doesn't seem up to parThe art doesn't jump off the page like it did in Iron Man.  It lies there flat.  The cover art by Larroca is fantastic, but the interior art is disappointing.  

I think Cable and X-Force will soon be pulled from my Pull List.

No comments: