Friday, January 25, 2013

Cajun Turd

Ever since Gambit first appeared in the X-Men comics in 1990, I thought he was a pretty cool character, despite rarely being able to understand what he's saying because of his Cajun accent.  I loved the flirtation between he and Rogue, before she got into daddy figures (see: Magneto).  Plus, you've gotta admire a straight dude that can pull off purple (see also: Hawkeye).  But what's with the long overcoat?  Doesn't that get in the way of battle...or make the Louisiana Bayou heat even more unbearable?


Unfortunately, Marvel hasn't really done Gambit justice, evidenced by the numerous attempts at solo series for him.  The latest (2012) attempt isn't any better.  After reading the first seven issues, I'm all, "A sphincter says what?"  I couldn't even follow what was going on from issue to issue because I was so disinterested.  There was battle sequence after battle sequence with little to no character or story development.  Sure, we got to see some Gambit nips as his costume was destroyed, but that hardly makes up for the lack of decent storytelling.  Now he's supposed to be some sort of international James Bond?  I just don't get it.  And, frankly, I don't have to.  This is just another Gambit series headed for cancellation due to lameness.  Mon Dieu!

No comments: