Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Aquaman: Sink or Swim

Let me preface my review by saying that, yes, I think Geoff Johns is a great writer, but I don't necessarily think that everything he touches turns to gold.  Case in point:  I loved his work on Teen Titans (and wished he would have continued), but I couldn't get into his Green Lantern no matter how hard I tried. 

So, after relaunching many beloved (and neglected) superheroes and series over the years, Johns finally took a crack at Aquaman.  After reading it, I have to say that this new Aquaman series is one of my favorites of DC Comics' New 52.  The first issue beautifully set the tone for the series and the new reimagining of the character.  Aquaman also looks pretty damn good in his original orange and green costume. 

Aquaman has been constantly ridiculed over the past few recent years, mocked for his abilities or lack thereof.  Johns is well aware of the mockery that has been going on and decided to include this in the series to prove everyone wrong.  He wants to show readers that the character of Aquaman isn't who they thought he was.  He's not the weakest team member of the 1970s Super Friends cartoon...and he doesn't talk to fish. 


Throughout the first issue, as the everyday citizens in the DC Universe laugh at Aquaman, he sets out to prove them wrong and succeeds wonderfully.  He's tougher than they think.  And not amused by their derision.  On the other hand, Aquaman shows his soft side when Mera appears.  Johns focuses on character development, something missing in most comics.  

As long as the series continues in this direction, I'm definitely onboard.  

No comments: