Thursday, January 13, 2011

Truth, Justice, and the Straczynski Way

I was getting a bit tired of all the Kryptonians that were overloading the Superman comic books, so I was glad when that storyline came to an end.  Since Superman's monumental issue #700, I've enjoyed the "slow" approach that each issue has taken with the "Grounded" storyline.  Each issue has had Superman dealing with a regular, everyday human (i.e., not other worldly) situation, like domestic violence.  As promised, Superman truly is reconnecting with the everyday people he is committed to protecting, including his readers.  Superman has reconnected with me, and it's actually one of the best series/storylines out there right now, in my (and Superman's) humble opinion.  I'm kind of confused, though, as to why DC Comics would make a BIG deal about J. Michael Straczynski joining as Superman's new writer and then suddenly have a "Grounded Interlude" story written by someone else, featuring Editor Perry White and random other Daily Planet employees.  Then to find that J. Michael Straczynski is no longer the writer on the series and someone else taking over the "Grounded" storyline, but I'm sure it's all political and some behind-the-scenes problems that we, as readers, don't need to know about.  Or maybe it's because the Superman: Earth One graphic novel took off (also written by Straczynski) and they figured they'd better cash in on sequels while they still can.

So far, I think Superman's stop in Chicago has been my favorite visit in the long-running "Grounded" storyline.  In the issue, Superman defends an abused wife and child from their husband/father.  It was one of the most "real" stories I've read in comics in awhile, and it was a welcome change of pace --despite the subject matter -- from superhero battles. 

Now, speaking of Superman: Earth One, I was psyched about reading it, having read so much hype from newspaper outlets and other news sources that don't normally cover comic book news.  They referred to this new, alternate tale of Superman's origin as a modern version of the classic story.  Superman, wearing a leather jacket, was supposed to be "edgy" and hipper, like the characters from Twilight.  Unfortunately, like the characters from Twilight, this Superman was just so-so.  All of these characters come off as two-dimensional.  After finishing the Superman: Earth One graphic novel, I didn't see what the big deal was.  There are so many other great stories told in other comic books, why did media outlets choose to focus on promoting this mediocre one?

I'll continue to read Superman's monthly series and hope it continues to offer such genuine storytelling.  However, I probably won't jump on the Earth One bandwagon, just like I've ignored Marvel Comics' Ultimate comics.  It's hard enough following one Earth's superheroes and keeping track of them, let alone multiple ones.

No comments: