Friday, January 14, 2011

Let's Get Animated

Although this blog is about comic books, I'd like to take some time to comment on some of the animated series that have spawned from comic books.   

Teen Titans animated series
The New Teen Titans was my favorite comic book series back in the 80s.  So when the Teen Titans cartoon was announced, I was so excited for its 2003 debut.  Then I watched the first episode.  These weren't the teens I knew and loved.  This show was geared toward the Teletubbies market.  It was literally one of the worst shows I've ever watched, and I was personally insulted by its lack of substance.  How could they do this to such beloved characters?  I never watched another episode.

Young Justice comic book series
Cut to: 2007.  I start reading comic books again after 15 years of being comic book-free, thanks to Geoff Johns' work on the new Teen Titans series.  I pick up all the back issues.  This also prompts me to check out the Young Justice series from the late 1990s to the early 2000s.  I buy and read a few issues.  I discover it's just as bad as the Teen Titans animated TV show. I stick to the Teen Titans comic and forget about any of their history that I missed. 

Batman: The Brave and the Bold
animated series
Batman: The Brave and the Bold debuted in 2008 on the Cartoon Network.  At first, I was disappointed in the format, hoping for something more along the lines of Batman: The Animated Series or Justice League Unlimited.  Now, though, I've really grown to appreciate the campiness of the series, reminiscent of the 1960s Batman show and 1970s Saturday morning cartoons.  I also love seeing appearances by lesser known DC Comics characters in each episode. 

Avengers animated series
The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon debuted this past fall on Disney XD.  It's been okay, but nothing spectacular, story-wise.  I guess that's to be expected since the many new Avengers comic book series that were started or re-started in the fall have been mediocre themselves.  I continue to half-watch it while doing other things around the house, though. 



Young Justice animated series

So when I hear about the new Young Justice animated series on the Cartoon Network, I'm a bit hesitant.  I'm quickly reminded of the Teen Titans animated series and the Young Justice comic book, both of which were too juvenile for even teenagers.  After watching the first episode, though, I know it's going to be one of my favorite shows on TV.  It's mature enough for adults to watch, yet not too complicated for kids to understand.  And while the series doesn't resemble the current Teen Titans comic book, it doesn't resemble the Young Justice comic book either. And that's a good thing.  Young Justice is about the sidekicks of members of the Justice League of America being inducted into the JLA.  To their surprise, though, it's not as full-fledged members.  They're still viewed as just sidekicks.  This prompts them to prove their worth.  

Young Justice animated series
I'm excited about the show's prospects and the promise of additional Teen Titans Young Justice members to come.  Awww...yeah!

2 comments:

Lebeau2501 said...

As much as I want to hate Bruce Timm for his top-heavy brutes and pointy-hipped dames, he lit the fuse for DC animation.

Lebeau2501 said...

Thanks for coming back, btw. As my only follower, it's nice to have a feeling of existence once more.