Friday, September 11, 2009

You had me at "hello."

I don't know how to say this, so I'm just going to come right out and say it. {Deep breath} I got a little teary reading Adventure Comics #2. There, I said it. I cried. Maybe it's from the cold meds I'm on, but more than likely, it was from reading the sweet reunion between Conner Kent (aka Superboy) and Cassie Sandsmark (aka Wonder Girl) after, you know, Conner died for a couple of years and then came back to life. Geoff Johns did a beautiful job writing a fantastic, quiet story that was all about character development and not about good vs. evil.

When it was announced that DC Comics was revamping its old series, Adventure Comics, that ended in 1983 after 503 issues, I was excited to learn that Conner was coming back from the dead (yea!) and would be the star. However, I was SO worried that because Conner now had his own comic book series with Adventure Comics (and living in Smallville, KS) and so much time had elapsed that there wouldn't be room in his life for Cassie (who stars in the Teen Titans comic book and lives in San Francisco, CA). By the end of the story in Adventure Comics #2, though, all was right with the world. These two belong together. It's not too often that relationships are done very well in the comic book universe, but the chemistry between these two has always been very strong, and I'm very pleased to see that DC Comics is recognizing that.

So, thank you DC Comics and Geoff Johns. Not since the story "Chalk Drawings" about a young girl's suicide back in Wonder Woman #46 (1990) have my eyes welled up with tears.

No comments: