Sunday, February 12, 2023

Missing in Action

Han Solo & Chewbacca comic series issue #1
Han Solo & Chewbacca #1
Marvel Comics' current Star Wars comic book series (Marvel Comics' volume 3; volume 4 overall if you include Dark Horse Comics' one-time series) takes place following the events of 1980's The Empire Strikes Back.  As we all know, Han Solo was frozen in carbonite at the end of the film and isn't rescued from the carbonite's deep freeze until 1983's The Return of the Jedi.  Therefore, he is MIA in this Star Wars comic series.  Charles Soule is a fantastic writer and has added Lando to the familiar cast, but no one is really a good replacement for the beloved character Han Solo. 

Finally, two years later, Marvel Comics gives us Han Solo and Chewbacca, exploring the adventures of these two best friends.  The comic book series takes place between the events of the 2018's Solo: A Star Wars Story and 1977's Star Wars: A New Hope, the original film.  Unfortunately, it's only a ten-issue limited series.  It's longer than the 5-issue Obi-Wan Kenobi or Yoda individual comic book series, so maybe they're testing out its popularity and it will come back as a regular series.  

I've been purchasing each issue in the Han Solo and Chewbacca series every month as they're released.  I was waiting until I had all ten issues before I started reading them.  I had just gotten issue #9, so I decided to start reading them, figuring by the time I read through them (in addition to the other comic book series I read), #10 would be released.  I read issue #1 through issue #9 back to back, non-stop.  I was completely absorbed into this backstory written by Marc Guggenheim.  Now I cannot wait until issue #10 is released so I can see how the story ends.  

Han Solo & Chewbacca #2
Along the way, we see such familiar characters as Jabba the Hutt, Bib Fortuna, Greedo, and Maz Kanata.  It gives readers a greater understanding of their background and connections to Han Solo and Chewbacca.  When Han shoots Greedo in Star Wars: A New Hope, we now understand what in their history ticks Han off so much about Greedo.  When an older Han (played by Harrison Ford) runs into Maz in 2015's Star Wars: The Force Awakens, we now know how they know each other from the past.    

I don't want to give away much of the exciting storyline, but I will say that it is currently one of my favorite comic book series, and I will be sad to see it come to an end.  Here's hoping Marvel recognizes its potential and continues giving us more of Han and Chewie's adventures written by Guggenheim.  After all, Darth Vader has his own ongoing series.  Even Doctor Aphra has her own ongoing series, and she's never been in a Star Wars film.  (Sorry, not a fan.)  

No comments: