Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The Force Is Strong With Them

Star Wars #1
(Marvel Comics 1977)
As a kid, I loved loved loved everything Star Wars.  Except the comic book.  I could never get into it.  I guess I never felt like Marvel Comics captured the magic that the movies did.  

Star Wars #1
(Dark Horse Comics 2012)

After Dark Horse Comics got the licensing for Star Wars in the early 1990s, I gave them a try, too, but wound up with similar results.  Many years went by with nary a Star Wars comic in my monthly reading collection.  I got excited when, in 2012, Dark Horse was going to feature a new series with the original characters.  Unfortunately, even this series left me a little flat. 

With Disney acquiring Marvel and Star Wars, it was only a matter of time before they took back the rights to create their own Star Wars comic books.  So, today in 2015, we have a new Star Wars #1 from Marvel Comics.  I must admit it's the best rendition so far that I've read of these classic characters.  I feel like it captures the excitement, adventure, and mystery of the first film.  The issue held my interest throughout, and when it reached its cliffhanger conclusion, it made me look forward to issue #2. 

Star Wars #1
(Marvel Comics 2015)
Congrats to Jason Aaron on the great writing and to John Cassaday on making the characters lifelike, resembling the actors who portrayed these spectacular characters on the silver screen.  You've finally captured the magic of the Force. 

No comments: