Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Superman. Wonder Woman. Love. Fight.

I'm not quite sure why it was necessary to have a new book featuring Superman and Wonder Woman called Superman/Wonder Woman.  They could have easily just made guest appearances in each other's solo books.  Regardless, I bought the first issue because Wonder Woman is one of my favorite characters (even though I haven't loved her solo book since George Perez' take on it), and I was curious about the romance between the two superheroes.  

First, I wish they could have come up with a better title.  Really?  That's the best they could do?  Not even Superman and Wonder Woman.  No.  It's Superman/Wonder Woman.  Equally dumb as Batman/Superman, Superman/Batman, or whatever the fuck the title is now.  

Now, onto the story.  Superman/Wonder Woman #1 had a decent plot and artwork to it.  In fact, it was probably even better than both heroes' individual monthly series.  That's not saying a whole heck of a lot, though, because their monthly series are both pretty...average.  I don't look at my monthly stack of comics and say, "Oooh...let me read Superman or Wonder Woman first!"  No, typically, they'll each sit around for a few months building up, and then I'll finally read those back-to-back issues in one sitting.  

What I liked best about the new series so far is that we get to see Clark and Diana without their costumes as they attempt to go on a date, even though it's quickly interrupted by an emergency (Isn't that always the case?).  While I enjoy the attempt at some character development outside the realm of superherodom, I don't think this first issue offered enough.  I don't really feel the attraction between the two.  Just why are these two attracted to each other?  Other than probably physically?  Or maybe that's just it.  They'll get it out of their systems and then move on. It's obvious (even in this issue) that their personalities are very different (thanks to the new versions of these iconic heroes in the New 52!), so I'm not sure what they really share in common personality-wise. 

Is this comic worth the $3.99 price tag?  Not yet.  The story itself was pretty short with large panels of art, so not much happened.  DC needs to offer more to keep me as a reader on this title.  I already dropped Action Comics, Detective Comics, and Batman/Superman/Superman/Batman because the quality of the stories didn't measure up to the $3.99 price tag.  Why pay $3.99 when I can get comics for $2.99 with the same characters? 

No comments: