Thursday, August 15, 2013

My Annual Dilemma

Comic book annuals used to be something exciting that were "must haves" because they featured the debut of a new character (Rogue in Avengers Annual #10 from 1981), featured a big reveal (Jade and Obsidian discover their mother is Rose/Thorn in Infinity Inc. Annual #1 from 1985), or wrapped up an important storyline ("The Judas Contract" finale in Tales of the Teen Titans Annual #3 from 1984).  They also used to be annual.

  
I think the big two comic companies have lost sight of the purposes for annuals.  They're not just to increase sales in the summertime.  They're supposed to give the readers something in return, too.  I used to look forward to DC's and Marvel's annuals.  Now they just feel like a huge waste of money.  $5+ for a comic in which they test out on me new writers with bland, generic stories and artists with dubious art?  No thanks. 


I've been reading the "Zero Year" storyline in DC's New 52 Batman series.  Unfortunately, I've been less than impressed.  So when I saw that the latest Batman Annual #2 (2013) also featured part of the storyline, new writer Marguerite Bennett, and about 16 different artists, my first impression was, "Ugh."  What happened to quality storytelling?  What happened to consistency in artwork throughout one freakin' comic book?  Those were questions I asked myself as I set aside some extra time and waded reluctantly into Batman Annual #2.  

As I began to read it, I was quick to note that the dialogue was very appealing.  It didn't feel amateurish, forced, or untrue to character (hello, Felicia Henderson).  It wasn't full of crappy action scenes with no direction or plot.  I didn't even notice the changes in artists.  Everything felt seamless.  And I was actually drawn into the story and into Arkham Asylum, where the entire story takes place.  The introduction, history, and character of the Anchoress, Arkham's longest resident, was intriguing as well.  I think Bennett did a wonderful job, and I'm actually a bit green with envy.  (I overlooked the fact that this woman who looked like a frail 90-year-old was holding her own against Batman.) 


Batman Annual #2 gives me hope in summertime annuals again.

No comments: