Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Wave 3 Washes Over DC Comics

With the cancellation of four DC titles (Justice League International, Captain Atom, Resurrection Man (ironic, right?), and Voodoo) came Wave 3 and the introduction of four new series.  This is about the three new titles that I've read; I refuse to read the fourth.

Talon.  Yes, I was as sick as everyone else reading about the Court of Owls in EVERY Batman-related title for months on end.  However, I was curious about this new title and one of the Talons as a supposed superhero.  Meh.  It's an interesting concept and I think the characterization of Calvin Rose has promise, but after reading Talon #0, it wasn't enough to get me hooked (pun intended).  

Sword of Sorcery.  Worst.  Title.  Ever.  Sadly, though, this was the title I was most excited about.  Why?  Amethyst!  She was one of my favorite characters in the 1980s and I loved her monthly adventures (up until they made her a Lord of Order).  They took a fun series with a fun, energetic, youthful character and made her all serious and boring in confusing, nonsensical storylines.  Blah!  The reintroduction of Amethyst in the new Sword of Sorcery comic was actually decent.  Instead of being a 13-year-old blond girl who steps into Gemworld as a blond adult, she's now an unpopular punk high school teenager with purple streaks through her dark hair who steps into Gemworld as a blond adult, much to her disgust.  The second story featuring a new character of Beowulf was just okay.  (Although the silver fox was pretty sexy in his tight black boxer briefs.)  I'll keep reading this comic for Amethyst, but I don't expect it to survive at a $3.99 price point.

Phantom Stranger.  I've never been a fan of the Phantom Stranger, and since the disintegration of the Outsiders at Dan Didio's generic writing hand, I wasn't a fan of his writing either (although I loved what he did with DC Comics as a leader to help turn it around several years ago).  I gave PS a shot, though, and surprisingly, this turned out to be my favorite comic in Wave 3.  The writing was spot-on and I loved the characterization of this wandering soul.  And -- spoiler alert -- we got two origin stories for the price of one in Phantom Stranger #0.  There are also ties to the mysterious Pandora, another mysterious character, and the Shazam family as well.  What I thought would be a so-so comic will probably be one of the first ones I read every month if the stories are as good and well-written as this one.

Team Seven.  A team of Punishers wielding guns.  'Nuf said.  No thanks. 

I still wish DC would combine elements of the New 52 with the former DCU and its well-established characters, though.  The replacements just aren't the same...and sadly probably never will be.  They're too angry and there's little room for characterization and  personalization of their private lives.


No comments: