Monday, July 16, 2012

Has Eyes, Watches TV

I don't normally watch reality shows (because they're usually trashy crap), but I thought I'd give National Geographic Channel's Comic Store Heroes a chance.  Naturally, where else would a show about a comic store be but on National Geographic, right? 

While the series probably wouldn't engage the normal reality show passerby, it was intriguing enough for this comic book enthusiast to tune in.  The show is set in Midtown Comics in New York City where, it just so happens, I order my online comics from monthly.  It was pretty cool to see where I order my comics from, meet some of the staff (and owner), and get a little insight into their world.  The next time I'm in New York City, I'll probably finally have to pop in and check it out in person.  Hopefully I can get out without too much damage to my credit card. 

Hot Stuff #1
So, the first episode followed a couple of the staff members as they (1) tried to set up for New York City's Comic Con and (2) searched for the first issue of Hot Stuff for the owner.  Having previously worked in a small town comic store back in my youth, I appreciated seeing the amount of work that goes into running such a huge establishment.  Some of the customers they focused on, though, were a bit creepy, as should be expected.  And, like Hoarders, it was a bit awkward to see the state of people's homes that are -- shall we say, "overly involved" -- in collecting comics.  In fact, the guy with the wannabe handlebar mustache and Larry Hagman eyebrows that they bought Hot Stuff #1 from for a few hundred dollars probably has never known what it's like to be with another human being sexually.  And is in desperate need of a maid.   Which, ironically, he could afford if he sold his collection, estimated at $15 million.  Seriously?  You'd rather live in filth than sell some of your comics and live like a king?  Dude, you need some serious fucking help.  

While the show dragged a little bit (as most reality shows do), the best part was definitely meeting and learning about Jill Pantozzi who writes the popular blog, Has Boobs, Reads Comics.  Now, I've seen her name and blog before.  I thought it was pretty cool that there are female readers out there as excited about the world of comic books as many men and, of course, I laughed at the title of the blog.  However, I didn't realize what a truly amazing person she is.  See, Jill is so young and suffers from muscular dystrophy.  She has an amazing attitude, though, and loves her comics (and her fans).  She's a real life Barbara Gordon/Oracle in a wheelchair (with red hair to boot!). 

Will I keep watching?  Sure.  I'll give it a shot.  Luckily, there's not much else on TV this summer that attracts my attention. 

No comments: