Friday, June 8, 2012

DC's Newest Comics

DC Comics announced today four new monthly series beginning this fall:  “Night of the Owls” spinoff Talon, the fantasy Sword of Sorcery (anchored by “Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld” with a “Beowulf” back-up), The Phantom Stranger, and the DCU/Wildstorm-merging Team Seven. I've already commented on Sword of Sorcery, so now I'll take a moment to comment on the others based on the information DC provided in their press release and images: 



Team 7?  Seriously?  A group of Punishers?  Pass.  










Does anyone really think that the Phantom Stranger can carry his own comic book series?  He may be okay as part of a team-up book, but no one's ever said, "The Phantom Stranger is my favorite superhero," have they?  

I will point out, though, that his newest look somewhat resembles one of my favorite character's costumes, Obsidian, who apparently doesn't exist in DC's New 52 because of his now-gay dad, Alan Scott, the original Green Lantern.  Sigh... :(





Of the four new announced series, Talon probably has the greatest chance of survival.  It has a good title and an interesting new character and scenario.

So, will I pick these up?  I probably will, except for Team 7, just to see what they're about.  But I don't imagine staying with them unless they're exceptional.  I'm already considering dropping a lot of my favorite pre-New 52 mainstays like Teen Titans because I'm not particular fond of the new vision.

No comments: