Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Daken, Come Out, Come Out, Wherever You Are!

My wish from my September 2009 posting came true: Daken -- Wolverine's son -- received his own series.  Unfortunately, that's where my enthusiasm ends. 

Having a day off recently, I sat down and read 4 or 5 consecutive issues of Daken: Dark Wolverine.  (By the way, I still hate that they use that title, left over from the Dark Reign days, only as an attempt to drive sales.) 

I didn't realize I had bought the new Tyger Tiger, Crime Lord of Madripoor series.  Each issue that I read of Daken was about crime lord (lordess?) Tyger Tiger, her henchmen, and other various criminals in the fictional country of Madripoor.   Did anyone bother to tell the writers that the title character should actually appear in his own comic series?  I'm all for supporting characters, but when title character BECOMES the supporting character, that's where I have a problem. 

There is so much depth, intrigue, and mystery to Daken, that to push him to supporting role status in his own comic book is equivalent to a slap in the face (and you don't want to be slapping Daken).  If I didn't already get to know him from previous comic book tales, I would have no idea who he is or what he is about from reading his new self-titled series.  The stories I recently read were of fair to mediocre quality, certainly not worthy of the complex character of Daken.  If he took over Wolverine's book for awhile and received his own title as a result of its success, don't you think he's worthy enough to have better stories written for and about him? 

No comments: