Friday, April 23, 2010

Built for Speed

I've always liked the concept of The Flash (the Barry Allen version), but as a kid, I never got into reading his comic.  I think I tried on a few occasions but never got into his storylines or his gang of enemies, the "Rogues."  Or maybe it was because I didn't feel like he had much personality. 

After the Barry Allen Flash died during Crisis on Infinite Earths in 1985, I was relieved when Wally West (formerly Kid Flash) picked up the mantle and received his own comic book.  This, I liked.  Wally was/is kind of cocky (unlike Barry) and, being a huge Teen Titans fan, I was excited for one of the founding members to get their own comic book.  I enjoyed following Wally through his escapades. 

Flash forward (pun intended) to 2007 when I started reading comics again after a 15-year hiatus, I find that there is now such a thing known as the "Speed Force."  The Speed Force is, according to Wikipedia, "an energy source that served as a pseudo-scientific explanation for his powers and that of other fictional speedsters within the DC Universe."   Sounds pretty cheesy to me, and almost as annoying to hear it constantly used.  (I'm reminded of the former series Young Justice where Superboy talks incessantly about his power of "tactile telekinesis," thereby annoying his teammates.)


With Barry Allen being brought back to life 25 years later in Geoff Johns' The Flash: Rebirth, I decided to give the Flash (specifically Barry Allen) another try.  Unfortunately, I felt a little letdown by the "Rebirth" storyline, mostly because -- again -- I was so tired of the overuse of the "Speed Force."  Plus, now there were SO many Flashes.  Here a Flash, there a Flash, everywhere a Flash, Flash.  There's the Jay Garrick Golden-Age Flash, still alive and running; the Wally West Flash; and now the returning Barry Allen Flash.  Not to mention many others in between who have assumed the mantle of "The Flash" over the years.  Can't they pick different names?  Are all superhero names used up?  How confusing is it when the Justice League says "Call the Flash!" and they have to respond with, "Which one?"  I'm waiting for a Flash Corps comic book to come out next, in the tradition of the Green Lantern Corps.  And, naturally, all of the Flashes are all connected to the ever-present and overused Speed Force. 

I know, I know...enough with the Flash-bashing, you say!  I'm getting to that, don't worry.

Being a glutton for punishment, I picked up Flash Secret Files and Origins 2010 #1 and the follow-up, The Flash #1, the start of a new ongoing, monthly series written (for now) by Geoff Johns.  To my surprise, Secret Files and Origins intrigued me so much that I had to read Flash #1 immediately following.  I loved the direction in which Johns is taking Barry now that we've gotten past the Rebirth stage, loved that his minor characters are given personalities and storylines of their own, and loved that there's some mystery.  I truly look forward to following his new adventures.  (But would love to hear a bit less about the Speed Force and also see some Flashes get different names!)

No comments: